Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Hallelujah! What A Revelation!

Baby can I hold you
by Tracy Chapman*

Sorry
Is all that you can’t say
Years gone by and still
Words don’t come easily
Like sorry like sorry

Forgive me
Is all that you can’t say
Years gone by and still
Words don’t come easily
Like forgive me forgive me

But you can say baby
Baby can I hold you tonight
Maybe if I told you the right words
At the right time you’d be mine

I love you
Is all that you can’t say
Years gone by and still
Words don’t come easily
Like I love you I love you

*Tracy Chapman is a fav artiste coz of her 'revolutionary' struggle; was torned between Talkin' Bout a Revolution and Baby, but thot I shld jive with today's theme. Enjoy!

Chronic Chronicles:

Talk about Hijrah and how I've migrated from self-flagellation to self-acceptance on the very first day of the new Islamic year. Thanks to Greg Bernherdt (He's Just Not That Into You) and Dr Phil (of Oprah Winfrey Show), the two greatest guys alive to knock some sense into women's heads (Now, Why Do Smart Women Make Stupid Choices? Only Heaven Knows). But first of all, I have to lodge a police report for having my brains stolen, or go for a lobotomy, hahah!

Why, oh why, does it have to come from men to tell women to stop making excuses for the shoddy treatment they've been dealt with all this while? I resisted HJNTIY for a no-brainer but, boy, reading it turned out to be a 'lite bulb' moment. Goodness, how I've been duped into thinking that my standards and expectations are too high - that I'm the one who is lazy, 'difficult' and selfish when it's the spoilt and lazy a--h---s who should pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.

Some basic principles, according to Bernherdt:
1. Don't say you'll call when you know you won't;
2. Don't give her your phone number so you can turn her down
(If you've never made a call before, you don't know how much courage it takes to make just one phone call, write one card or letter, or make one visit);
3. Don't speak in codes as if you decline when you want her to follow;
4. Don't get sick pleasure from making women fight over you;
5. Don't expect her to drop everything to run after you when you didn't call to inform or make prior arrangements.
(In short, don't play mind games, don't expect her to follow with just a look, a signal or a throw-away line, don't be so self-absorbed if she's really the one you want, be a man and pick up that phone)

Wow, what a relief, what a load off my shoulders and my mind. All those years when CTS, EOW, JKS, AO, HS and KN were pitting me against DR, MN, AH, the Tart and whoever, I was taking the blame for being fickle, egoistic, a 'crippled personality', a flirt, a 'chicken' and a simply 'difficult' person. And if indeed I am all those things and more, then it's your God-given role to assure, persuade and convince me that it's you that I should spend the rest of my life with. For God's sake, I don't need to be in a pseudo or quasi-relationship. And I should stop this monologue; if you need to talk, you can always call me. Ciao

Aesthetics and Computing:

A former colleague, Afflatus, has decided to 'reinvent' himself and just focus on 'inobasi', oops Inovasi, for the central theme of his blog.
Being the kaypohchi that I am, I had to add fuel to fire by citing some succint statements from an article I just read this morning, 'Why does Stephen Fry hate Bill Gates?' (Word, Oct 05, 18-20):
Fry, who calls himself 'an absolute Mac evangelist' thinks that Mac 'was the complete future of computing'. And that MS Windows was 'so badly designed, shoddy at every level, the icons and interface are achingly inadequate. It's without thought, without love, without passion, without emotion, and that is unforgivable.'
He thinks 'Beauty is not an added extra, it's fundamental' to tech design since 'People thrive when surrounded by things that are well made, with life and vibrancy ..... with love and care'. In other words, 'Beauty is not incidental to life, it's essential'.
Well, I'm a Mac fan myself, and a Wildean like Fry. Cheers!

No comments: