Monday, February 20, 2006

How Do You Spell R-E-L-I-E-F?

R-O-L-A-I-D-S! This is a very American thing; if you don't know, you won't know. Anyway, ROLAIDS is a remedy for those who are not 'regular', i.e. a RELIEF if you have a problem that is 'stuck' (pardon the pun!) there for what seems like eternity and drains you of your 'joie de vivre'.
"It's not that the glass is half empty or half full. Instead, the question is why isn't the glass the right size to hold the amount of water it's got? Learn to size your expectations appropriately and things will get better."
Yeah, I guess one can choose to be happy regardless of the situation. One's hopes and fears are but an exageration of one's imagination. Having said that, I couldn't help but feel relieved that I have declared to myself that I will quit doing whatever that don't produce the anticipated results because it had been weighing on my mind like a ton of bricks.
If it happens, it happens; if not, let it be.
I'll lay it all at the feet of the Lord - let HIM decide what is the best course for me.
If I sound like a daydream believer, that's because I am so weary of trying to be rational and realistic.
I will let the New Age Gal, the Hippie, the Free Spirit in me and my daily diet of inspirational quotes to guide me:
"We each need to let our intuition guide us, and then be willing to follow that guidance directly and fearlessly."
– Shakti Gawain
"It is only by following your deepest instinct that you can lead a rich life."
– Katherine Butler Hathaway
And not let titles like Intuition: Its Powers and Perils by David G. Myers (Yale University Press, 2000) to deter me from my path.
"How reliable is our intuition? How much should we depend on gut-level instinct rather than rational analysis when we play the stock market, choose a mate, hire an employee, or assess our own abilities? In this engaging and accessible book, David G. Myers shows us that while intuition can provide us with useful—and often amazing—insights, it can also dangerously mislead us."
—Yale University Press
Essays adapted from Intuition: Its Powers and Perils:
Do We Fear the Right Things?
The Power of Coincidence
There's a Gut Feeling... by Karen Peterson, USA Today
The powers and perils of intuition. Psychology Today, November/December, 2002, pp. 42-52.
The Powers and perils of intuition. In S. Della Salla (ed.), Tall Tales About the Brain: Things we know, but ain't so. Wiley, 2005, in press.
INTRODUCTION (read it all)
PART I. THE POWERS OF INTUITION
1. Thinking Without Awareness
2. Social Intuition
3. Intuitive Expertise and Creativity
PART II. THE PERILS OF INTUITION
4. Intuitions About Our Past and Future
5. Intuitions About Our Competence and Virtue
6. Intuitions About Reality
PART III. PRACTICAL INTUITION
7. Sports Intuition
8. Investment Intuition
9. Clinical Intuition
10. Interviewer Intuition
11. Risk Intuition
12. Gamblers' Intuition
13. Psychic Intuition
Selamat Malam, Mas!

2 comments:

John Nelson said...

Rolaids is more for indigestion than for problems related to regularity. Just so's you know. From America, dead center America, with love.

BaitiBadarudin said...

Thanks, John. It was quite a while since I was in the US. From Malaysia, alive & kickin', with love.