Friday, June 09, 2006

Soup for the Chicken's Soul

Jack Canfield of the Chicken Soup fame is in town. He's a living example of an ordinary person - a teacher turned best-selling author and motivator - who achieved extraordinary success by believing that any obstacle, no matter how daunting, can be overcome by persistence, patience and faith in God and oneself. Glad that I finally got to hear and speak to him in person.
While the series have its share of followers and critics, the "publishing phenomenon" (Newsweek) about stories of ordinary people who had done extraordinary feats has been read by nearly 70 million readers from all levels of society. And I have read and reread the series for hope, inspiration and upliftment when life seems pretty bleak, or simply bland. What the series taught me, and I've yet to learn, is the power of affirmations and visualizations to make all my dreams come true - to rid the mind of negative thoughts, to be decisive, and to ACT at the most appropriate moment.
All that hesitation, that procrastination, that self-flagellation, that stubborn will to be right all the time are what stand between where I am and where I want to be, or who I want and deserve to be with. All that fear, doubt, anger, sadness, and tears are just excuses for not taking ACTION.
Cliched as it may sound, "If it's meant to be, it's up to me". I am 100% RESPONSIBLE for my own actions or non-actions - no one else, not my father, not my mother, not my siblings, etc. It feels really good to say that outloud, since I am now free to let go, move on and embrace life.
Maybe u want to move in tandem with me, honey. Thank you, Jack, for asking me to "trust in myself". "Ask and you will get" is another axiom that I will practice everyday from now on.

No comments: