Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes, we can!


Finally, I'm compelled to write about a historic occasion after a two month hiatus.
(Never mind the Hari Raya prayers at the Shah Alam mosque, the Sultan's and MB's open houses; they are now a distant memory. But wait ... I can still recall the irate "taxpayer" (I presume) at the Istana who objected to the rakyat entering through the side gate, and not the main gate, and the attractive young woman in her tube dress that just about covered her 'endowments'. I certainly hope that Khalid Ibrahim is still pursuing his vision of a zero-poverty state based on the Caliphate Economic Model that he shared with me two Hari Rayas ago at Anwar Ibrahim's house in Bukit Damansara. And I pray that he values ALL his supporters, including the single mother of two endearing boys, a 12 year old and an infant, who was willing to pay RM80 for cab fare to and from Taman Tun Razak to attend his 'rumah terbuka').
Well, I guess I'm just another sucker for emotional appeals in political campaign speeches but I had to wipe tears from the corner of my eyes upon hearing both McCain's concession and Obama's victory speeches.
(With the amount of campaign money raised and media coverage on the Republican and Democratic candidates, I have completely forgotten that I had rooted for Ralph Nader, the real McCoy and the genuine article, in 2004. Tell me all about 'agenda setting function' of the media.)
Although I had my share of flak for politicians, I do admire their magnanimity and grace in the face of defeat as well as their astuteness in encapsulating their thoughts while endearing themselves to their constituencies at very such notice.
I had managed to sneak away to follow the US presidential election results at the Renaissance earlier today. It was indeed a poignant moment - not just for the African Americans, but for all US, and perhaps global, citizens.
Throughout his speech, I pictured a son of a white American woman from the counter-cultural generation who had an eclectic background. Never would anyone imagine that he will be the 44th commander-in-chief of the US of A.
What remain etched in my mind, though, was his call for American patriotism to forge unity and reconciliation. Let's hope he'll able to live up to his campaign promises before the various lobbyists, neo-cons or neo-libs close in on him.
Congratulations, Mr Prez-elect!

No comments: