Saturday, January 14, 2006

One Step Forward, Three Steps Back

An Austin Chase Moment:

Dear Austin,

Do I earn a 'golden star' for "taking heed and being good"? I have yet to learn to 'go with the flow', but I am venturing out of my comfort zone. But to respond to signs or signals would be a giant step indeed.

H used to challenge me by saying: "Look, babe, deliverables"; but I'm not a 'letter' to be posted or delivered. That explains the passed-up chances with CS, EOW, RF, AM, AG, JKS, AO, etc. that I didn't really care for that much anyway. If this type of men prefer to signal, 'lead' and 'wait', that's their prerogatives, but I will not berate myself anymore for failing to match their style.

I was visiting a farm near Perth some years ago when along came a hunk of a 'farmhand' on horseback (Ooh ... Crocodile Dundee!) When he showed us how to milk the cows later, he turned to me and said: "Do I have to spell it out?" Yes, honey, with 'dimwits' like me, you have to say it.

Rgds,

Beyonce

**********

Bet's Bites:

"Sure you have to make efforts at relationships, but if it's too difficult, give it up"*

*(Yeah, easy cop-out, babe, that's your style, haha)

**********

(A)Musing:

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there"

- Will Rogers


**********

Self Improvement:

Since there's no one to pat me at the back, I should still do it to myself. I have set out an 'Integrity Time' to "pay attention to my inner life as it emerges in the here and now" - this need not be meditation, but regular prayers and 'zikir'. And I have started 'Notes to Myself', "the practice of self-reflective writing to develop clarity about my free flow of experience" - in the form of my own blog or journal.

I used to laugh at H about his practice of writing his goals to see if he meets them by the end of that week, but now that we're apart, I could see the benefit of inculcating the same habit - to make sure that I don't lapse into self-pity and paralysis.

Guess I learnt as much from everyone that I encountered as they learned from me.

***********

Community Outreach:

Dear Noor,

Make Trade Fair!

Photo: Kim Johnston/Mercy Corps Fair trade would allow poor women to feed their families and send their children to school, thus breaking the cycle of poverty. So why are rich nations refusing to trade fairly with the developing world? Act now: Urge President Bush make trade fair.

U.S. trade policy saves you a nickel on a cup of coffee -- but it also means Amina Ibro's children cannot go to school or get the medical care they need. Amina Ibro is a farmer in Ethiopia, a country whose survival depends on trade with the United States.

Our country is built on the principal that through hard work, people can improve their lives and the lives of their children. But while we Americans aspire to this principle, our trade policies deny the same opportunity to the poorest developing nations. U.S. trade policy keeps our prices low by denying people like Amina Ibro the ability to earn an honest wage for their labors.

Break this cycle of poverty perpetuated by U.S. trade policy - Ask that the U.S. pursue a policy of trade that is fair to all people.

Amina Ibro is like many of the world's poor. She lives a hardscrabble life with her husband, Kalifa, and their seven children. Amina lives in a village of mud and straw homes, surrounded by fields of coffee, sweet potatoes, and other crops in the highlands of Ethiopia. The people of the village are dependent on these crops for their survival.

Families like Amina's stand to benefit most from fairer trade policies. Eliminating trade barriers and agricultural subsidies in the world's wealthiest countries would allow poor countries to generate nearly $300 billion per year in revenue for their own development by 2015, with sub-Saharan Africa benefiting the most.

Please sign this petition and ask that the U.S. pursue a policy of fair trade, so that millions of people like Amina Ibro, can improve the lives of their children through hard work. http://go.care2.com/e/itC/ga/pUj_

Jenny McKinley
Care2 & ThePetitionSite Team

No comments: