Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Peace Education

When I was a young scholar, I thought it was irrelevant for Prof Fatimah Hamidon to propose 'peace' research since we've never been a nation at war, well not since the Second World War or perhaps the Emergency.
Now I realised she was ahead of her time and there really is an urgent need to not only study but practice ways to promote and maintain peace within the family, the neighborhood, the community and so on.
The presentations were, on the whole, eye-opening and thought-provoking. Scholars from the ASEAN region shared their ideas, experiences and empirical findings from war-torn and conflict zones such as Acheh, Pattani and Mindanao.
I personally find Madeliene Sta Maria's and Faridah Noor's presentations on socio-cultural approaches/dialogic competencies and efforts in cultural archiving the most valuable for my own research on multiculturalism.

No comments: