Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Lost Horizon at Shangri-La

To offset my dissapointment at having to cancel a trip to Paris, I seized the opportunity of a get-away weekend at Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa in Penang. I had another offer to visit the Cameron Highlands but, unfortunately, I can't be at two places at the same time.
We were whisked off from the launch of 'Every Baby a Book' at the Equatorial in Bukit Jambul by the loquacious Khor, who drove us to the doorstep of Rasa Wing, where we were warmly welcomed by Suleiman TAR, Rasa Sayang and Golden Sands' Director of Communications. While our luggages were checked-in by a personal conceierge, we sipped our complimentary cocktails, admired our welcome gift of white orchids and chatted with Suleiman in the exclusive Rasa Wing Lounge. Upon arrival at our spacious and stylishly decorated 1281 sq ft Rasa Premier Suite, we had our photo taken by the bell-hop and our needs taken care of by Syuen, our very own round-the-clock butler.
The suite has a separate parlour/sitting area, and a private balcony with a huge soaking tub facing the luxuriant garden and the ocean. Apart from having our nightly lavender and tuberose baths drawn by Syuen, we also took a dip at the Rasa Wing pool, next to the Chi Spa, where we were pampered to one of its signature spa therapies, aptly called Rasa Asmaradana.
Our neighbour was Chef Spinosi, who prepared his designer label pasta, Spinosini, for entree, main dish and dessert at our cozy dinner tete-a-tete with him and Suleiman at the Feringgi Grill.
Breakfast was a generous buffet spread at the Spice Market Cafe while high tea was a delightful sampling of canapes and fine teas at the garden terrace of the Rasa Wing Lounge. Lunching on Chef Salad and fruit juices at the Poolside Bar while watching people swimming, sun bathing or engaging themselves with recreational activities was a welcome reprieve after the spa treatment. We were indeed sad to bid farewell to Suleiman and his team who had been such hospitable hosts throughout our short stay at Rasa.

5 comments:

zewt said...

I wonder how can Shangri-la replace Paris... but reading on.... not that bad after all...

Jorji said...

last week pergi singapore pun rasa tak nak balik msia dah..

camna agaknya kalau sampai eropah?

Penang best!

BaitiBadarudin said...

zewt:
can't say it was all that bad. how are you keeping?
j or ji:
saya pun rasa tak nak balik KL tapi tiada pilihan

Anonymous said...

Dear Queen B,

We met once at Kak Maria's. Hope you can still remember me.

I was privileged to stay at Shangrila Rasa Sayang with my family 2 months ago.

The resort is to die for. The buffet dinner is lavish and pretentious (dare I say so much!).

All in all, I will return - that's for sure.

Personally QueenB, I vote Pangkor Laut Resort to be the best Malaysian Resort. Or the Datai, Langkawi. Damn! I am confused...

Take care

BaitiBadarudin said...

Dear Elviza, how could anyone forget you?
I agree that the resort and the buffet at the spice market are to die for. And I'll be McArthur on that and vow to return.
As for Pangkor Laut Resort, I have'nt the good fortune to cross the sea from Teluk Batik, but I must say the Datai must be the best resort that I've been to in Malaysia - it's so peaceful and serene.